Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Easy Mango Salsa

As a kid, I wanted to be a gymnast.  Problem was I was extremely aware of the fact that I might get hurt.  I wouldn't say that I have grown out of that.  Bungee jumping, sky diving, hang gliding, or I guess anything that involves me (possibly) falling, I'm not doing.  At. All.

Maybe that is why I was best at the balance beam.  Keep in mind, we practiced on a beam that was only an inch off the ground.  I am was super adventurous. Haha! ...Riiigghhht.

Except when it comes to bright colors, Disney, salt and vinegar chips, chocolate, and salsa.  Especially chips and salsa.  It is kryptonite to me and I hate love it.


Personally, I love salsas with fruit in them.  The sweetness seems to balance out the spicy--making it crazy addictive.  In this case, I chose mangoes.

Let me tell you a story about mangoes... I used to not eat them because I couldn't cut them without juicing them as well.  It was embarassing how mangled those poor mangoes were.  Finally though, I figured it out.  I thought I would include a little step by step in photos in case there are other I'm-too-embarassed-to-cut-mangoes-so-i-dont-eat-them-often people out there.
Cut the mango vertically on either side of the skinny seed in the middle.
On both halves of the mango, cut vertical lines that go through the flesh, but not the skin.
Turn the mango horizontal and cut lines that way.  Once the mango is scored, invert it.
Run the knife under the squares to release them from the skin.
There you go. Diced mango.

Maybe you didn't need the mango cutting lesson, but you need this mango salsa.  I can't stop thinking about it.  Mmmm...

Mango Salsa
Active: 15 minutes
Inactive: 0 - 120 minutes
Serves: only you  3-4
A Now Stir It Up original

Ingredients
  • 3 medium Ataulfo mangoes (they are golden yellow and slightly soft when ripe), diced
  • 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 2 jalapenos (I like my salsa HOT), minced
  • 1/2 medium red onion, minced
  • 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 1 lime
  • salt
  • Tortilla chips
Place all ingredients, minus the salt and tortilla chips, in a bowl and combine.  Add salt to taste (I used about 1 tsp). 

The salsa is great served immediately, but best when served after chilling for a few hours.


3 comments:

  1. Ooh, this salsa looks SO tasty. I wish I had some in the house right now - I'd gobble it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mango salsa is so cheerful and delicious looking! I love salsas with fruit in them too and mango seems to be my go-to these days. I could easily eat a bowl of your salsa with some tortilla chips for lunch and be completely content. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fruit salsas are my favorite salsas too. Especially mango salsas! I cut my mangoes like that too--it seems like such a pain to do it any other way!

    ReplyDelete