Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Chicken Enchilada Suizas Casserole

I know, I went MIA.  I have a really good reason...

I moved.

To the Seattle area to be exact.

While I am THRILLED to be here, its slightly bittersweet.  I have never lived anywhere besides Southern California, so this was a huge change.  We did it for many reasons.  Primarily so that I can go to school.  Which leads me to my next bit of news....

I am officially a student at the University of Washington.  Its not at the main campus in Seattle, but a smaller (more convenient) location in Bothell, Washington.  Can you say... EXCITED!!!!

I have never, and I mean never, been so excited to go to school.  I am also really excited about this Chicken Enchilada Suizas Casserole.  I have to admit that I made this awhile back and planned to post it before I moved, but then the chaos of having to move started in.


My favorite part of this casserole is that it can be made ahead and frozen.  My new schedule is going to be hectic and freezer meals are going to save my life.  Since it is only Tay and I, I like to make half size casseroles.  I use loaf pans and line them with foil.  When the casseroles are put together I put them in the freezer until solid.  Then, I remove them from the loaf pans and just store the foil package in the freezer.  On the day I want that meal I just take the foil out, put it back into the loaf pan and let it defrost in the refrigerator.

This enchilada casserole makes a great meal.  It is easy to put together and the simple green sauce is packed with flavor.

Personally, I like my food spicy so adjust the heat level to fit your taste.

Chicken Enchilada Suizas Casserole

Ingredients
 
  • 2 large or 4 small chicken thighs, cooked and shredded (or shred a rotisserie chicken)
  • 4 cups of canned beans, rinsed (I used pinto, but feel free to use whatever )
  • 12 tortillas, cut in half
  • 3-4 cups cheese (jack, Mexican blend, or cheddar)
  • 6 tomatillos, husked
  • 2 -3 jalapenos
  • 2 cups green chilies, chopped (canned is fine)
  • 1 white onion
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • salt
  • avocado and Greek yogurt/sour cream (for topping) *optional

Turn your oven on to broil.  Wash and prepare the tomitallos and jalapenos.  Broil until they are blackened and blistered in spots.

While the jalapenos and tomatillos roast, combine the chilies, onion, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice in a food processor.  Pulse until combined but still chunky.
If you are cooking the casserole right away change the oven to bake at 350 degrees.  Add the blistered tomatillos and jalapenos.  Once pureed add salt to taste (I used about 1 tsp).

Toss shredded chicken with about 1 cup of the green salsa and reserve the rest.
Begin to build casserole.  Add a small amount of salsa to the pans.  Top with 4 halves of tortilla.
Evenly sprinkle the beans over.

Spread the lightly sauced chicken on top of the beans.

Sprinkle cheese to your desire.

Add a large ladle full of sauce over everything.  Repeat layers beginning with tortillas one more time.
Top the completed casserole with another layer of tortillas, more cheese (or not), and extra sauce.  At this point you can top the casseroles with extra foil and put in the freezer.  Once they are frozen you can remove the baking dish keeping just the foil package in the freezer.  When ready to cook, grab the dish you originally made the casserole in and let defrost a few hours or, place in a cold oven and let it heat with the oven.

When the casserole is in the oven, cook until it is heated through and beginning to bubble.  If you cook them right away they will only take 15-20 minutes.  If you are cooking a frozen casserole, it will take closer to 50-60 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Exciting! I hope you love Seattle! And school too! My husband would love to move there, but I keep telling him we have to at least visit first. ;)

    ReplyDelete